Respect - ادب

Some days back I was having a conversation regarding the status, place an importance of adab in man's life. I was trying my best to explain as to what it meant to me, but I felt I was not able to do that satisfactorily. Although the person at the other end thought that I was successful in communicating what was there in my heart but I knew I had not even spoken an iota of all that was there. It was like showing someone a drop of water and asking them to believe that this drop belongs to so and so ocean. The more I spoke the more bewildered I felt. Then I decided that silence is probably the best option. You simply cannot 'explain' many many things that you experience in life. But I was disturbed. Way too disturbed. I felt it was important for me to make that person 'explain' what I wanted to. Now why did I want to do that? Don't know... However, I finally had to give up because it is impossible to 'explain' the inexplicable. I also stopped talking because my aversion to argue over the matters of heart - yes, adab is a matter of heart for me - had struck me with full force. I did not give up on thinking about it though...
***
I listened to an incident regarding Nizamuddin Auliya and Amir Khusro (rahimahumullah) long ago in a religious halaqa (or a majlis), and it had made a great impact back then. The incident had completely slipped from my memory until yesterday when this post on another blog that I read, reminded me of it.
***
Love, I believe, cannot exist without respect. Respect at times is a prerequisite for Love. And Love is the prerequisite for respect. Both co-exist. One does not have to make oneself respect somebody they love. Lovers do not have to 'learn' adab. The aadaab (etiquettes) of the adab come to them naturally the moment they fall in Love. It was adab (respect) and muhabbat (Love (of Shams-e Tabrez rahimahullah)) together that produced Maulana Rum (rahimahullah) as we know him today ... He himself says:

مولوی ہرگز نہ شد مولاۓ روم
تا غلامِ شمس تبریزی نہ شد

mowlavi hargiz na shud Maula-e Rum
ta ghulaam-e shams-e Tabrezi na shud

[Mowlavi did not become Maulana Rum
Unless he became a slave of Shams-e Tabrez]

Comments

haroon said…
___

I always kept on thinking, why Abu Jah'l couldn't get what Omer ( R.A ) has acquired, and glorified till the day of resurrection.

It is RESPECT.

Omer too teased muslims, tortured them but never abused and cursed Prophet ( PBUH )and his companion, a very interesting undoubted historical fact as per my researches and studies ( may be I am wrong ), though he determined to leash his sword out on Prophet.

Omer mein junoon aur gussa tha, hiqarat aur kameengi nahi thee...

In my personal, professional and academic life, I've observed and wittnessed my colleagues facing consequences of disrespecting parents, teachers and trainers.

_______

Popular posts from this blog

Speed-breakers

Company - Ba-gul Nashistan