"Wearing your religion on sleeve!"
Today something happened which I would like to keep a record of. I know I have lately become very lazy in updating my blog and this laziness has reasons behind it. I am becoming more and more self-reflective with every passing day. Trying to decipher the purpose behind every act of yours is a painful act in itself. And yet this pain is imbued with a certain kind of wholesomeness. Before I go on with my usual rant, let me get back to what I wanted to record...
We, five people in all, were sitting in our 'research communication skills' class. The (female) Professor in-charge was discussing the checklist according to which we will be evaluated in the upcoming paper-reading sessions. One of the pointers in the checklist was about 'looking presentable' during the event. Why? I asked myself? While I was trying to figure out the answer to the question in my head only, the professor carried on, "how would the audience feel if someone standing before them is clad in black from head to toe!" My colleagues and I exchanged glances (I so wish the professor could have seen the smirk on my face!); obviously the comment was directed at me. I just nodded my head without actually arguing for my case because of various reasons: I did not want to engage myself in an argument with the Professor because firstly, I do not like arguing (you can say I am too complacent to argue at times. Yes, I know it might be counted as a 'bad' habit!), and secondly, she has been a teacher for the past six years now! Anyway, I did not say anything to her and finally the class came to an end. Now this was something that would not leave my mind for quite a while. Alhamdulillah, Allah arranged for a sabab and I got a chance to see Dr I.S. after the class...
... My friend needed to ask him something and I too was present there. I told him about this 'dire need to LOOK presentable' during a paper-reading session. I told him that almost everyday I teach a class of seventy people and that too without a microphone! Was it not just the clarity of the voice that mattered most? And was it not the substantiality of the content being presented that was to be sought after? He very calmly listened to me and with a smile on his face said, "this is a limitation (not the looking-presentable-matter, but bearing with such people who think that way!) that we have to live with." He narrated an incident in which an old Professor asked him about his colleague (also my teacher) as to why he always kept his head covered with a Topi and wore an Islamic attire. The old professor said to him about his friend that "why does he need to wear his religion on sleeves?" The answer Dr I.S. gave to this very senior professor was, "who doesn't?" And then he went to explain this point to me. He said that if someone chooses to grow a beard, that is his ideology. Moreover, if someone chooses not to grow a beard, that is again their choice. The point is that the person who has decided not to grow a beard or don an Islamic attire is as reflective of his ideology as a person who has an Islamic appearance. Is it not a part of his ideology that he has accepted something and rejected the other? On listening to this, I was not only calmed but this also came as a reassurance of my personal beliefs. Alhamdulillah. He further said that during presentations it is the substance in our content that matters. If it is substantial enough then the audience (a serious audience, that is!) would not notice the "external" paraphernalia on display. He said a few more things and we finally left his office...
... Since then I am wondering how great a crisis Westernisation has become for us, Pakistanis. Our identities have become so polluted and impure just because we give in to every change that comes about in our society. It is the television advertisements and soaps that tell us what our standard of living should be, and how should we carry ourselves in the society. As a result, the existence of any such person who does not subscribe to this television/media-prescribed existence is considered abnormal by the society. Okay, now this topic needs another full-fledged post for discussion which I am soon going to write, inshaAllah. Right now it would suffice to say that there is nothing wrong or abnormal with wearing your religion on sleeve because everyone, practically everyone - religious or irreligious - does that!
And when I talk of 'wearing religion on sleeve' I am not talking about the 'reluctant fundamentalist' (c.f. Mohsin Hamid) kind of figures for whom religion is just a matter of appearance. Religion sure goes deeper than that. I am talking about those 'religious appearances' that come into existence as a result of the change of heart due to the Love of Allah SWT and His Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassallam).

Comments
So true! Very wise teacher :). So you teach as well? Which subject? (Masha Allah!)
JazakAllah so much for the reminder..
I've been reading your posts for a while now and I really find them beneficial and inspiring. Jazaakallahu khairan sis!
Wa iyyaakum! I know usually people think that way only but you see it is just a matter of understanding. I myself, till yesterday, thought that probably people like me are the ones who wear religion on sleeves! :) May Allah SWT bless everyone with wise teachers who act as guides in many a troubled times.
Will answer your other question via e-mail :)
Pol:
Walaikumuusalam. Welcome to my blog, sis. Jazaakumullahu khaira for liking it. May Allah bless you!
P.S: You have portrayed the whole perspective so beautifully, that there is hardly anything to be added on.
Can you give a brief snap of reluctant fundamentalist and more on your critique of it? Thanks.
Jazakumullahu Khairan kaseera dear for sharing this insightful event. I thought I should respond to this. In one of his lectures, Sheikh Nuh said:
“Allah subhana hu va ta’ala out of His mercy and kindness for the murid (someone who is seeking Allah).. He gives him continuous failure; one after another in his relationships with ‘worldlings’ (relationships that are attempted to be for other than Allah)
and he quotes
Ibn-e-‘Ata Allah that, “Allah has only sent the problems; the vexation to you upon their hands, so that you are not reliant/you don’t place all your trust and all reliance upon them; and find yourself at relief with them. He want to make you annoyed from everything until nothing would busy you from Him.”
And Sheikh Nuh narrated this Hadees in one of his lectures that the Prophet (saww) said that [translation] “For a mo’min (believer) everything is beneficial. If some good comes to him, he does Shukr (says Thanks be to Allah) and that is beneficial for him. If a calamity/vexation comes to him, he does Sabr and that is also beneficial for him.”
I was just thinking and it came to my mind that, a ‘Smile’ can symbolize Shukr and ‘Silence’ may be a symbol of Sabr. And Alhumdolillah we have two great teachers from whom we can learn to practice both of these insha Allah. :)
(I hope you remember Smile and Silence personified) ;)
Wassalaam SSN
Suraj har roz hamain ye sabaq deta hai,
Maghrib ki taraf jao ge to doob jao ge...
kher choro... a very nice post indeed! jazakillah for sharing it!
The above lines were looking so true and nearly reflected my own perceptions. If you do get to study my post on religion (http://hassanhabib.blogspot.com/2010/07/religion-by-iqbal.html) i have stressed upon this very fact about religion that religion is not about some traditional rituals and practices rather it is somehow represents the whole "you".
Westernization is surely destroying our civilization, the civilization and mimesis which we derive from our beloved Prophet Muhammad (sallalahualaihaywasalam).
May Allah Give us the courage and belief to revive the sunah of our prophet.
wama toufeeqa illa bILLAH!!