Marks on the Heart
I remember Dr I.S. once saying that the words we read are not mere words. They are rather the marks on the heart...
I was reminded of this thought just a while ago when I had finished reading a short story by a very famous Pakistani writer who was an eminent figure in the "Progressive Writers" alliance. I won't name the writer of the title of the story here for various reasons that I prefer keeping to myself. What I wish to share in this post is my response to that particular work. There are some works of literature after reading which you feel like throwing up. It was one of that kind. I know it is a very layman-kind-of a response coming from a student of literature! At times such simplistic remarks help us figure out our own condition of the heart after reading something. Literature, as it was pointed out, is 'marks on heart'. Despite all their art and craft, some works simply make one palpably feel their hearts being plunged into darkness... A sense of great uneasiness follows. The heart gets disturbed for the diet you provided to it rather made it far more malnourished. And this leads one to recognise the non-Traditional literature!
A 'relevant' digression: qalb is something that needs to be 'handled with care.'
****
A 'relevant' digression: qalb is something that needs to be 'handled with care.'

Comments
definately words leave their imprints on our hearts and minds..
Thanks for dropping by!
@ Hassan Habib
I do not think that literature alone can CHANGE the world as such. Plus, we also need to identify what kind of literature we are talking about. Unfortunately we are not living in the times of Mawlana Rum who did become a source of a great change in the troubled times brought onto this world by the Tartars. I have cited Mawlana only as one example. The literature which is being written in the present day and age hardly has any possibility for bringing about a significant social change. And precisely this is why I am an ardent supporter of the teaching of classical literature to our new generation.
Please link to Haq Islam from your blog if you find it to be of benefit for your readers.
Wasalam
wa iyyaakum. I have added you to my blogroll